Mac OS 10.9.1

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

Mac OS 10.9.1

Postby jimnlacy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:22 am

I wasn't thinking and I downloaded the latest Mac OSX (10.9.1). Now my version of PowerCADD, which is the latest I believe, can't check because it won't load, does not run.

Help! Needless to say it was late and I didn't do a backup so I am not sure how to undo this.

Thanks,

Jim
jimnlacy

Re: Mac OS 10.9.1

Postby patrickm » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:20 pm

You might try running Onyx (to run the maintenance scripts, permissions, etc) and restarting the computer, to see if that works.

I'm running 10.9.1 with no problems.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
patrick
patrickm

Postby Damon » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:26 pm

Jim,

PowerCadd 9.1.3 will run happily on Mavericks; I'm doing so on my MBA 13"/1.3 with no problems, and I know others are as well.

I understand that you can't get the update from within PCadd as it won't start. Engsw must certainly be able to get you the update.

But it is a pain to run into this, I fully accept.
Damon

Postby sgladfelter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:16 pm

Does anyone experience the open drawing window blanking out to white when the printing dialog is open? Printing seems to work - just the open window blanks out to white until a regen is triggered with a zoom or layer change command.
sgladfelter

Postby Alfred Scott » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:47 pm

It's a bug and has already been fixed in the program. Just do something to cause the screen to refresh and continue on.

The fix will be in the next update. Be patient.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby jcarcht » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:09 pm

sgladfelter wrote:Does anyone experience the open drawing window blanking out to white when the printing dialog is open? Printing seems to work - just the open window blanks out to white until a regen is triggered with a zoom or layer change command.

Interesting- I encounter distorted drawing shapes on the drawing screen after I execute the Print Sheets command. Refreshing the screen corrects the problem.

I still run OS 8.5, by the way.
jcarcht

Postby Chris Black » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:24 pm

Running PC 9.1.3 (Build MK01) with WT 10.1.2 on Mac OS 10.9.2 and have the white screen (drawing blanking out) while printing, but printing directly to all of my printers (3 lasers of which 2 are B&W and 1 color, and 1 DesignJet T520-24" throat--new as of 4 months ago and I LOVE IT) works OK, and forcing a screen redraw brings everything back.

HOWEVER, printing to a PDF (saving to PDF in Print Window) gives an error message (see below) and then hangs the app for several minutes before regaining control. Anyone else see this. Only seems to have happened after upgrading to 10.9.2, which also required me to redo all my custom settings from scratch. Any suggestions?

PC913 PDF hang.png
Chris Black

Postby huc » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Haven't seen that PDF/PS printing error - I'm running OS X 10.9.2, PCD 9.1.3 build MJ30 ( a build that's one day earlier (older) than the one you noted)

If we presume we're dealing with the same pcadd file - and it's printing find directly to the printer (using it's proprietary printer drivers) but not when printing to OS X PDF/PS - then I'd be looking at something amuck at the system level. I say that since all information I've been given historically is that PCadd dumps the same data into the printing queue (aka the printing black hole) - i.e. PCadd doesn't know (care) what device is being printed to. That points to an issue in how the print software (driver, apple os) is interpreting the data.

Given there's so damn many files (thousands or more?) related to printing in Mac OS X it's not a surprise if something got fouled. I'd download Apple's combo OS X updater - - quit all open apps - do a repair permissions - restart - run combo updater - repair permissions - restart. Then see if the problem persists. There was also a printer update issued by Apple but I believe that was for Epson printers specifically so it likely won't apply to the condition you're describing.

If that doesn't address the problem I'd review file specifics. I.e. Does it appear on every file or only a specific file? I'd also look hard at fonts and see if isn't an old or legacy font conflict

Given the user ID noted in the dialog box you posted isn't 'chris...', but 'david...' - Is that a clean user ID you're testing from or a regular production one that might have become compromised with either a problematic OS update or some other third party conflict?

Not saying there's no chance it's PCadd specific problem - but given I don't see it - and given it only happened AFTER the 10.9.2 update AND only with system level PDF Printing I'd look at the OS First.

Hope that helps
huc

Postby patrickm » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:10 am

I vaguely remember having a similar printing issue, in the distant past. As I recall, I deleted my printers from System Preferences, ran Onyx, then added the printers back.
patrickm

Postby Chris Black » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:48 pm

I solved my problem of being unable to print to PDF (altho printing to all my printers worked just fine) by going to "Get Info" on my hard disk and changing "Sharing & Permissions" to "everyone" able to "Read & Write." This also solved another problem, of which was the genesis for finding this solution.
Chris Black

Postby patrickm » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:03 pm

FYI --

Today, I've been having PC9 crashes while trying to print a particular file. After a lot of troubleshooting, I was able to narrow the culprit down to a particular layer that had the "layer attribute" set to 50% (to produce a grayscale effect). If I changed it to 100%, the crashes stopped, so I selected all items on that layer and set their pen pattern to replicate a 50% screen, and now the file prints fine.

I have no proof, but my intuition thinks it is related to some small (5 pt) text on the offending layer...

Previously, I had also tried deleting and adding my printers, fixing permissions, etc, to no avail. Likewise, copying and pasting into a new file didn't fix the problem.

regards,
patrick
patrickm

Return to PowerCADD Discussion