Migrating PowerCADD to new machine

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

Migrating PowerCADD to new machine

Postby Rob C » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:33 pm

I was once an early adopter, but now I'm a late adopter. None the less, the time still comes to move up to a new machine. Does it work at all to copy PowerCADD over from one machine to another and re-enter the install codes or is it best to re-install from an installer? Since my last installer isn't the current version, I would mean updating back up to be current after installation.

Rob
Rob C

Re: Migrating PowerCADD to new machine

Postby huc » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:05 pm

If you're not currently running PowerCADD 9 then get the upgrade in hand first - and confirm that Master Install CD has 9.1.3 (or more current) on it. Then just do a clean/new installation on the new mac from the master CD.

There's nothing wrong with copying PowerCADD from old to new machine - just make sure it's 9.1.3 before you do it. New mac's all ship with Maverick's (OS X 10.9) and trying to run an update from say 9.0 or 9.1 to 9.1.3 in OS X 10.9 can be a problem.

Under no circumstances do I recommend copying PowerCADD 8.x.x, or anything older than PowerCADD 9.1.3, from the old Mac (i.e. not running OS X 10.9 Mavericks) to the new mac. You'll be asking for problems

In general I also don't recommend migrating the custom key commands file. Rather make a new one with the new installation. It's a bit of a pain in the arse but ensures a nice clean install which can save time in the long run. Yes the key commands can be automatically converted -- and yes it usually works -- I just never recommend it and have never done so with any upgrade with PowerCADD (1 through 9). It's always nice to have a clean slate and solid baseline if any trouble shooting issues need to be addressed immediately or in the future.

Hope that helps
huc

Postby jcarcht » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:52 pm

When I purchased the iMac in 2011, I used Migration Assistant to move the files from my Macbook Pro to my iMac. It worked like a charm. I did make the initial mistake of using Time Machine to do this task, I recommend against that approach. After migrating to the iMac, PowerCadd performed flawlessly.
jcarcht

Postby Alfred Scott » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:27 pm

Be advised that the rules have changed in Mavericks with plist files in HD/Library/Preferences/... which is where the PowerCADD registration files live. These are effectively off limits because the OS caches the files, with the result that you can edit or delete a file and the OS will promptly put it back.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Rob C » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:14 pm

By "late adopter" I mean that I purchased a "new/old stock" pre-maverics machine at a discount, so it came with Mountain Lion installed. I need the expense of a new machine right now like a hole in the head, but the old machines were disappearing, and it was the last chance to get what I need with ML on it. Truly a "late adopter". My current machine is running Snow Leopard, but I've purchased Mountain Lion for it ($20 from the Apple Store) and partitioned the drive so it can be dual boot ML/SL as needed.

I think I'll go the clean install route.
Rob C

Postby jcarcht » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Rob, point of fact is that my iMac is running Mountain Lion. When I used Migration Assistant, I was running Snow Leopard on both machines. I'm not sure if Migration Assistant changed with Mountain Lion.

I'm a late adaptor. I still run my MacBook Pro from 2006. Main issues are 32-bit, and an 80 gb hard drive. I just got an iPad (see other posts), so that is doing much of what my laptop used to do.
jcarcht

Return to PowerCADD Discussion