PowerCadd v5 rough week DWG Translator

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

PowerCadd v5 rough week DWG Translator

Postby jcarcht » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Ok, so now this takes the cake!

I do a DWG translation from PC to DWG and the "opaques" I applied to certain objects don't "clip."

They used to in previous versions of DWG translator.

I'm attaching some illustrations to try to prove my point:
Attachments
Screen Shot DWG translated document.png
Translated document-note openings became transparent.
Screen Shot original document.png
Original document in PowerCadd
jcarcht

Re: PowerCadd v5 rough week DWG Translator

Postby huc » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:35 am

That has me confused and it's clear I'm not understanding the fundamental issue.

If I understand that "Opaque Objects" = PowerCADD/Mac OS FILLED objects, then those have never been supported writing DWG/DXF. For example A white filled object (e.g. a rectangle filled white) will be a polygon with no fill pattern when saved as DWG from PCD and will always have no fill pattern when either opened in ACAD, PowerCADD, or any app that reads DWG. Bottom line is the DWG Libraries used in the translator don't know what to do with a Mac OS fill pattern

PowerCADD Hatch patterns should translate but not the fill pattern. I mention that since it's possible to assign both to a PowerCADD object like a rectangle

There was - a LONG time ago - an option in the PowerDWG Translator application (circa 1990's) that did give us the option to perform clipping the writing to DXF. But that was long abandoned. It has been on my wish list to bring back for a great many years

Maybe a simple example file, with one simple rectangle in PCadd with the assigned attributes, might be helpful vs a full drawing? It might eliminate some distraction in the overall image and make it easier to understand -- at least of me. Others might be able to shed light on this as I could well be misreading the context of the post
huc

Postby jcarcht » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:41 am

I conducted a simple test to determine whether the DWG translator can perform a clipping function. Past translators have been able to do this. This one? No!

I conducted this test two ways:

1. With the opaque object on a separate later over the hatch
2. With the opaque object on the same layer over the hatch

I then opened each DWG file in Draftsight. I am illustrating the results below.
Attachments
Object clip test original file.png
Original file in PC
test 2 object clip fail.png
Failed in this instance
Test 1 Object clip fail.png
Opaque object doesn't clip in DWG-fail
jcarcht

Postby jcarcht » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:03 pm

I also conducted a test in which I used lines rather than a hatch in the background.

Once again, as the attached illustrations show, the DWG failed to execute in translation the desired results.

OH yeah, as a footnote- the Trim With Object tool- which was unceremoniously deleted in the last WildTools upgrade- would have helped greatly in this instance.

PowerCadd v5 has been upgraded to PowerDraw usefulness, in my opinion!
Attachments
Test 4 object clip fail.png
Another fail in file translation
Test 3 object clip fail.png
File translated- fail
Original cip test lines.png
Original File
jcarcht

Return to PowerCADD Discussion