Website Problems

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

Website Problems

Postby robmunach » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:32 am

Does anyone else have problems accessing this website? About 75% of the time it won't connect due to "too many connections" or it is just plain slow.
robmunach

Re: Website Problems

Postby patrickm » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:22 pm

Yep -- I have the problem all the time. I figure we are lucky to have Design Community hosting our forum, so I just try again later.
patrickm

Postby phansford » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:49 pm

Access issues seem to be more frequent. I tried to reply yesterday and got the error page. :lol:

The fact is this forum is the only active on the entire Board. Nearly all of the others haven't been posted on for several years. A handful haven't been posted on within the last 6 months. Hell… spammers aren't even posting here anymore. :lol: :lol: I have to image that at some point cost is going to force Kevin to close the entire Board. :cry:

With the new ownership/management of Engineered Software, maybe its time for them to host a forum at their website. Or for an active user group to be developed on Facebook. I have made this observation in the past and its been met with grinding and gnashing of teeth. But sometimes change happens regardless. Its best to be proactive than reactive.

I realize the ES is a very small company and may not have the resources to administer a forum themselves, so using some other social media website might need to be a default.
phansford
millennium club

Postby jcarcht » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:26 pm

As many of us are on Social Media (I'm on Facebook and LinkedIn), I believe that having a social media presence for Engineered Software is a viable option they should consider. This forum is down too many times to be useful any more.
jcarcht

Postby lavardera » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:47 am

It would be easy to create a Google Groups message board and transport what we are doing here away from Design Community - if the Owner of Design Community wants that. We've been here so long, I'd hate to ditch them if they want us.

Its here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!overview
pretty much works just like this message board, free
lavardera

Postby Alfred Scott » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:37 am

The problems with the PowerCADD forum appear to be a server problem, with the server being overwhelmed with too many SQL requests. If you go to phpBB community and search for "too many connections", you will find lots of postings on this subject. Best I can see, it appears to be a server problem, how many things are on the server, setting the server to automatically reset itself every night... that sort of thing. All stuff I know absolutely nothing about...

For much of the last year, I'll send a text message to Kevin Matthews who will then reboot it.

The forum is hosted on an ISP in Portland, Oregon, with a good pipe to the internet.

We have talked to Kevin about moving the forum to http://www.engsw.com, and it's something we would do very reluctantly. We are very grateful to Kevin for hosting this for many years, and we don't want to be ungrateful or rude guests on his forum. If necessary, Kevin can give us the database of the years of forum history, but we really don't want to go down that road or to behave like that. There is also the burden of having to spend at least an hour a week managing and monitoring the forum.

The ES website was set up by John McNeil here in Richmond. I've known him for 25 years as he has been in a band with my nephew, Christopher Stanley (find him as Out on a Limb on Facebook). John McNeil is extremely smart and spends all of his time setting up and managing websites. I remember seeing him play a run on an electric guitar about ten years ago. The speed with which his fingers flew over the frets was a mind-blowing experience, and fingers don't move fast without a lightening quick mind between the ears.

Find John at http://www.jgm3webdesign.com. He's done the website for our own Mark Rhodes at http://www.rhodeswork.com and http://www.engsw.com/mark-rhodes/

Let's hope John can get things straightened out for Kevin and all of us.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Alfred Scott » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:29 pm

We have an experiment going on which potentially will bring this forum back alive.

Kevin has the forum automatically rebooting each morning at 4:00 AM west coast time, and we are watching how long it takes before the spam shuts it down. So far it looks like the forum will stay up for about two hours.

It may be that this can all be solved by automically rebooting the server every two hours. No reason to feel sorry for a microprocessor.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Alfred Scott » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:33 pm

Kevin Matthews now has all of the Artifice website and Design Community forums back up after moving the servers from 100 miles away.

This is still an interim step, and we hope to have them on cloud based servers and more reliable.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby lavardera » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:43 pm

good news
lavardera

Postby Joe Mattei » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:20 pm

It's working! YEAH!!! :D
Joe Mattei

Postby poolvibe » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:47 am

Web servers are designed to run for years not hours without rebooting or restarting services. This is definitely a configuration problem or a simple hardware issue. Is the server just a typical LAMP stack or is there something out of the ordinary about it's config?
poolvibe

Postby Kevin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:00 pm

FYI, the continuing challenge is how to run smoothly through truly massive spam bot traffic.
Kevin
Site Admin

Postby poolvibe » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:48 am

Kevin,

You can do that with DNS through cloudflare so you never get the actual hit on the server. I would look at some sort of CDN to head it all off.
poolvibe

Postby Alfred Scott » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:22 pm

By now we can all see that the PowerCADD forum has improved dramatically. The problem is entirely created by spam created by web robot programs.

I'd also like to report that we now have the problems in the Drawing Room at www.engsw.com cleaned up so you can navigate smoothly through the Drawing Room.

I would also like to encourage users to submit new entries for the Drawing Room.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Return to PowerCADD Discussion