printing partial drawing to scale

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

printing partial drawing to scale

Postby cadm0nkey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:22 am

Does anyone have a workflow for printing part of a drawing to scale?

For example, the entire floor plan is on a 22x34 sheet, but i want to print off the kitchen (or some other area) at scale to an 8 1/2x11 sheet.

Apologies if this is an obvious setting in the print dialogue that i might be missing.

thanks!
cadm0nkey

Re: printing partial drawing to scale

Postby huc » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:34 pm

Here's One option:
1. Do a page setup for the entire drawing for 8.5x11 at whatever orientation you want to print at. Just grab as many page tiles as you need, more is always better. These page tiles don't specify the region to be printed ,just the page size and orientation we want.
2. Draw a rectangle that's slightly smaller than 8.5x11 (at a scale of 1:1) to reflect the orientation in (1) for the area you want to print. I generally do that on a unique layer with the layer scale set to 1:1. I say slightly smaller than exactly 8.5x11 since the physical printing area typically is never exactly that page size.
3. Position the rectangle over the area you want to print. Think of this as window you're going to see when the data is printed.
4. Select the rectangle in step 3
5. Choose File menu > Print...
6. From the Print dialog, Choose the PowerCADD Settings popup menu
7. For Print Area choices click the SELECTION radio button. Because the page setup is 8.5x11 (step1) and the box we drew is just a bit smaller than 8.5x11 (step2), we know the image area won't need to be enlarged or shrunk to fit the 8.5x11 page so the drawing scale is retained
8. DO NOT check the Fit To Page radio button as that will fiddle with the scale
9. Print as usual to PDF or direct to printer. Don't forget to reset your original page setup options back to 24x36 when you're done.

If you don't want to see the rectangle drawn in (2) simply give the rectangle a pen pattern of NIL in step 4 before going to step 5

Sounds more complex than it really is but the workflow is consistent and works for any page size or orientation you'd like. It is possible to use Print Window with the same basic approach. Problem I have with that is I rarely, if ever, get the window sized correctly. I also usually find I need to send out the same area again after a revision, in which case having done the setup once I'm good to go.

This caddpower article describes the process for sending part of the drawing as a PDF but it's essentially the same thing going to print. The only difference in this article is we rescaled the drawing to fit when printing, you don't want that so the detailed steps above are better suited. There is a video that might also be helpful for context
http://www.caddpower.com/pcdtechniqueem ... ingpdf.htm

Hope that helps
huc

Postby David Scott » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:33 am

Here's another workflow:
1. Change Page Setup to the page size you want. (make sure Page Breaks are on in the Show tab of the Drawing Setup window)
2. Do a Reduce to fit (Command F)
3. Using Zoomer, zoom the window view from the top left corner of the drawing to the bottom right corner of the first page tile. In the drawing window you should now see the entire first page tile of the drawing.
4. Reshape the drawing window so that it is the same proportions of the page tile.
5. Hold down the space bar and drag to pan the drawing sheet to the part of the drawing you want to print. (You may need to set this in the Commands tab in Preferences- Pan is on the list on the left- set it by hitting the spacebar key)
6. Choose Print… from the File Menu.
7. From the PowerCADD settings select 'Window', uncheck 'Fit to page', and check 'From page 1 to 1'.
8. Select Print

David
David Scott

Postby cadm0nkey » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:00 pm

Gents,

Outstanding suggestions! Both worked like a charm. Cheers!
cadm0nkey

Postby cadm0nkey » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:08 pm

Gents,

Outstanding suggestions! Both worked like a charm. Cheers!
cadm0nkey

Postby jcarcht » Mon May 16, 2016 3:04 pm

I use the WildTools "Camera" tool. With that, I can copy the portion of the drawing that I want to print, placing it on another sheet. I use the Camera tool very frequently. For me, it is better than cross-referencing.

One could use Apple's "Grab" tool but this produces a .tiff file which may not print to scale.
jcarcht

Return to PowerCADD Discussion