Custom Hatch Origin?

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

Custom Hatch Origin?

Postby lavardera » Thu May 19, 2016 4:40 pm

Is there any way to do a custom origin for a hatch?

I am hatching an irregularly shaped polygon, and I need to center the hatch on one of the legs. None of the menu origin points correspond. I think I am going to have to just draw the thing.
lavardera

Re: Custom Hatch Origin?

Postby Derek » Sat May 21, 2016 3:27 am

Try this.

Draw another object and fill it with the desired hatch. Then move your polygon by selecting the desired point on its edge and put that at the point you want in the hatch pattern in the other object. Unfortunately you can't snap to points in the hatch so zoom in to place it as best you can.

Now fill your polygon with the desired hatch and before you move it, select Convert to Objects in the Tool menu to "harden the hatch" as the manual calls it.

Converting to objects will alter the line weight of the hatch (which is probably an error rather than intentional) but you can reassign it as it is now a stand alone hatch object. Once it's all done group your polygon and the hatch object together.

Derek
Derek

Postby lavardera » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:51 pm

Thank you Derek - thats a great work around. But this also points out a feature we really need for hatches.

I've just started using hatches recently, in the past I've always used bit map fills. But I was caught off guard by not being able to set the origin of the hatch patterns. It feels like an essential function.
lavardera

Postby patrickm » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:12 am

One of the things I frequently do with hatches is to use "convert to objects" under the "tool" menu, which allows them to be somewhat editable.

In the distant past, a hatch composed of lines (such as cross hatching) would convert to a "group" of lines, allowing one to edit, snap, trim, etc, them (once the group was ungrouped).

At some point with some PC upgrade, these converted objects quit being editable (you can still change their line weight, color, etc, but can't trim them or select a line individually).

I liked the former behavior better than the current behavior.
patrickm

Postby pbacot » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:40 pm

I'm with Patrick on that one. Also would like to scale hatches disproportionately, which I used to do by exploding to objects (and a series of steps).
pbacot
millennium club

Return to PowerCADD Discussion