Line weights and PDF prints

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

Line weights and PDF prints

Postby Rolando » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:31 pm

I seeing a new problem for me, perhaps because I seldom do any renovation work. On my new work floor plans I typically use 0.75 and 1.5 point lines and they print fine to PDF.

With this renovation work, I'm trying to show existing work with a thin line and new work with a heavier line, but I'm not seeing the differentialtion on the printed PDF file. I've gone so far as to set the existing work with a 0.25 point line weight and the new work with a 1.0 line weight and the pdf print is not showing any difference at all between the two.

Have I missed a print setting somewhere? Or are PDF files really that limited in line weight?
Rolando

Re: Line weights and PDF prints

Postby phansford » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:37 pm

I do a lot of addition/ renovation work. I usually use color to differentiate existing and new work. Red for selective removals, blue for existing, and black for new. I print color prints for permit submittal and the contractor. The blue and red will print lighter when printed out-of-house in black/white (gray scale).

I use light weights form 1.5 to .15 and they print fine - even from a PDF.

There are times when we will half- tone existing work.

How are you printing the drawings? In-house or out-of-house? Large format or letter/ legal/tabloid printer?
phansford
millennium club

Return to PowerCADD Discussion