Time for a... Suggestion Box

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

Time for a... Suggestion Box

Postby Joe Mattei » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:57 pm

I am envisioning a tool that will work with imported CAD plans that do not have a "formal" scale associated with them. The plan scale is somewhere between who knows where and who knows what! The idea is, if you actually have an accurate dimension of one of the walls, say, by field measuring, you can click on that wall and insert the dimension into the box that pops up... and magic, presto change-o, the entire plan is to the scale you would like. That would save a lot of time... And now someone is going to tell me you can do it by...
Joe Mattei

Re: Time for a... Suggestion Box

Postby Derek » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:03 am

Yep, it's too easy with WildTools Stretch Tool.

Have fun,
Derek
Derek

Postby Alfred Scott » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:36 am

And as it happened, the Stretch tool came out of a suggestion from Derek!

I remember a Sunday morning iChat video session with Derek at the time, and our wives at both ends baffled by their two madmen.

We already had a Rotate tool that operated with three clicks, and the last was a drag to establish the rotation angle. Derek’s suggestion was to use the drag action to establish a scale factor.

And as it happens, this morning Derek found something in the console that may explain the crashes with the Balloon Text tool and many other problems in High Sierra!

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby robmunach » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:07 pm

Joe Mattei wrote:I am envisioning a tool that will work with imported CAD plans that do not have a "formal" scale associated with them. The plan scale is somewhere between who knows where and who knows what! The idea is, if you actually have an accurate dimension of one of the walls, say, by field measuring, you can click on that wall and insert the dimension into the box that pops up... and magic, presto change-o, the entire plan is to the scale you would like. That would save a lot of time... And now someone is going to tell me you can do it by...

I do that all the time without needing a pesky tool:> Mainly when i am using a screen shot of a plan instead of a vector file.

Set the drawing scale to what you want it to be - say 1/4"
Measure the wall using the dimension tool or if you have "show location" turned on, just use the mouse.
Select the entire drawing and select the menu item "Edit- Scale"
Enter the ratio of what you field measured and what you measured in the drawing.

So if you field measured 16 ft. and it measured 17'-6" in the drawing, your scale factor would be 16/17.5.

Measure the wall again and it should be the same as the field measurement.
robmunach

Postby Derek » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:34 pm

robmunach wrote:Set the drawing scale to what you want it to be - say 1/4"
Measure the wall using the dimension tool or if you have "show location" turned on, just use the mouse.
Select the entire drawing and select the menu item "Edit- Scale"
Enter the ratio of what you field measured and what you measured in the drawing.

Yeah, that's the way I used to do it too. The nice thing about using the Stretch Tool is that once you start the stretch you can Tab into the edit window and type the known field measurement and hit enter. The tool scales all the selected objects accordingly.

And if you're dealing with scanned images or photos you can use the Stretch Tool to rotate a known line in the image to horizontal in the one step (or any other angle for that matter).
Derek

Postby robmunach » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:25 am

Does not seem any faster than the brute force way (for that particular example), but still a pretty cool tool.

For me to do it, I just select the image and hit command shift S (key combination for scale), type in the ratio and I am done. Don't need to search for that tool.
robmunach

Re: Another Idea...

Postby Joe Mattei » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:39 am

Another idea... since the last one was answered quite adequately.

I measure a lot of buildings as part of the renovation projects that I do. I just started bringing my new MacBook Pro with me to eliminate a step in the process. I find that it is efficient to wheel the computer around from room to room on a cart that also holds all of the measuring stuff and drawings and etc...

So as I go from room to room drawing walls etc, I use the door tool to insert doors. The time waster, and annoyance, is constantly having to change the door size by using the option key. Couldn't there be, somehow, at the drawing level a selection of 30", 32", 36", 40", 42" standard doors?
Joe Mattei

Postby Alfred Scott » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:50 am

Joe,

Funny, I ran into the same thing while working on some floor plans, and I went back and changed the door and window tools. The choices are shown in a favorites-dock presentation in the dialog. You choose metric/imperial from the button dock, and it’s remembered from then on.

As I recall, these choices show in the button dock.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Re: Another Idea...

Postby phansford » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:51 am

Joe Mattei wrote:Another idea... since the last one was answered quite adequately.

I measure a lot of buildings as part of the renovation projects that I do. I just started bringing my new MacBook Pro with me to eliminate a step in the process. I find that it is efficient to wheel the computer around from room to room on a cart that also holds all of the measuring stuff and drawings and etc...

So as I go from room to room drawing walls etc, I use the door tool to insert doors. The time waster, and annoyance, is constantly having to change the door size by using the option key. Couldn't there be, somehow, at the drawing level a selection of 30", 32", 36", 40", 42" standard doors?

Joe - I've been taking my PowerBook with me to field measure for years. There's typically an empty office or space somewhere that I can set up. I have cut my time in half and I rarely need to return to pick up that stray dimension I missed. When I have an assistant, one of us can field measure, while the other is inputting data.

I don't use the door tool when I am field measuring/drafting an existing building, because I am chaining all of the dimensions, including door openings. And as you know with older/historic buildings, there is rarely a standard door size. I have created a library of door symbols over the years of varying sizes and as existing and new doors. I just pop those symbols in after I have located/drawn both interiors the jambs. But it really depends on the level of accuracy and detail you want to document.
phansford
millennium club

Postby Alfred Scott » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:12 pm

Choice in dialog now looks like this

005.jpg

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Alfred Scott » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:15 pm

And as you move the mouse you get this display

007.jpg
007.jpg (9.45 KiB) Viewed 5501 times

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Paul H » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:29 pm

This looks promising.
Paul H

And Another suggestion

Postby Joe Mattei » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:32 pm

To save time and be accurate, in whatever tool being used that needs a dimensional input, you tap the D key twice and say the dimension and drum roll... the software completes the task. No typing.
Joe Mattei

Postby pbacot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:22 pm

Looks like nice updates to the door tool!

I too measure many houses and have to use a string measurement, meaning, measure from the corner to to the door, measure the door, then if needed measure the rest of the wall. So I can place the door by way of centerline and division , and addition... but it would be nice to place by the jamb. Now the min. jamb distance setting can be used, but sometimes the wall won't allow the setting to be used.

If the insertion point can be the jamb, that would add a ice option.
pbacot
millennium club

Re: Another thought.

Postby Joe Mattei » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:34 am

When in the field, measuring, using a MacBook on a cart, a way of developing a string of points along a line would be very helpful. So you use your laser measurer to get the length of the wall full of windows and doors and you draw a line that length on the screen... easy. Then with the new points tool activated, place a point on one end of the line, go over to the wall and the computer is listening, say "next", 2'-3 1/2" and it draws a point, say "next" 4'-6" and it draws a point... In that way you are measuring and the computer is drawing what it hears. Saves having an assistent. Obviously this could be refined, but I think it has merit.
Joe Mattei

Next

Return to PowerCADD Discussion