DWG Translator

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

DWG Translator

Postby Eugene Silva » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:45 pm

The current translator for DWG in PowerCADD works on AutoCad 2010 or earlier files. We are now in 2018. :( Is an updated translator in the works? Does anyone know a work around that does not require purchasing AutoCad?
Thanks
Eugene Silva

Re: DWG Translator

Postby patrickm » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:17 pm

As mentioned earlier in some other thread, you can download a free version of DraftSight, and use that program to "save as" to an earlier version of AutoCADD.
https://www.3ds.com/products-services/d ... -download/

I occasionally do this, and it seems to work reasonably well.

cheers,
patrick
patrickm

Postby phansford » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:16 am

I downloaded DraftSight as suggested by others in that earlier thread. I have used it basically as a translator. I'll take the DWG file and backsave it as an earlier version of ACAD for my use. Its a fair work around.
phansford
millennium club

Postby jcarcht » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:30 am

Draftsight™ users please note that a new version, called Draftsight 2018, is now available for download. it does work on Macs running El Capitan and later. Like all other versions, it's a free download.
jcarcht

Postby Rob C » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:14 am

Draftsight™ download page presented a bewildering license agreement at a time when I was too tired to comprehend. It seemed like I saw something somewhere about "subscription" pricing, so I figured I would come back another day when I'm not so tired and really in need of it.
Rob C

Postby patrickm » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:57 pm

If you go to this page:
https://www.3ds.com/products-services/d ... -download/

and click on the "download for Mac" link, you will get a big licensing agreement, which I didn't read, click okay, then the free version will download. I've been using the free version and have never had to input any personal information or sign up for anything. They apparently do have a more robust "professional" version, which presumably you'd have to pay for.
patrickm

Postby jcarcht » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:41 am

For me, it was worth the effort to download and implement. I do note that a fair amount of DWG files from product manufacturers can still be opened using Powerrcadd's DWG translator. Those that don't- I open in Draftsight, save as a 2010 file, then it will open in PowerCadd.
jcarcht

Postby BILLGORE » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:48 am

Try the Teigha file converter. Make sure to select the mac OS X version.

Works great, does multiple files.

Just make sure to create a folder dump all the dwg files you need translated into it.
Tell where to dump the output files, select what version of Autocad you want the files translated down to and hit convert.

Bill
BILLGORE

Postby clashorne » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:11 pm

Since the beginning I have been able to open .dwg/.dxf of any version up to 2010. Now the translator suddenly has stopped working. As suggested I have tried to download Draftsight. I have dowloaded that however it won't let me open it until I activate it. But it won't let me activate it. I have tried multiple times. Are there an hints.
clashorne

Postby clashorne » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:22 pm

As suggested I have now tried Teigha. Did not work either.
clashorne

Return to PowerCADD Discussion